"First, don’t think of an elephant. Remember not to repeat false conservative claims and then rebut them with the facts. Instead, go positive. Give a positive truthful framing to undermine claims to the contrary. Use the facts to support positively-framed truth. " - George Lakeoff from https://georgelakoff.com/2016/07/23/understanding-trump-2/I published the blog post below the break ("How and Why Donald Trump and Republicans will win Whatcom County this Fall.") on August 22nd, let it run for a week and then I pulled it because I thought it was very negative. But I've changed my mind. I think many Clinton Democrats are operating in shrinking closet, accomplishing little but kibitzing with one another on why they think Donald Trump can never be President of the United States. November may well bring a Republican landslide of epic proportions here in Whatcom County and the state of WA, if the numbers I have looked at are indicative of the general election. Personally, I think it is a really bad idea to sit around and bitch about Donald Trump. You are wasting time you could be using to support Democrats. My guess is George Lakeoff would agree. Here are some ways you can support the Democratic Party, even if you really don't like Hillary Clinton or the federal (e.g. "super delegate") candidates:
- Make sure you a 'status active' registered voter @ http://myvote.wa.gov
- Join the Whatcom Democrats : http://www.whatcomdemocrats.com/
- Find your Precinct on myvote.wa.gov and them find your current Precinct Committee Officer or PCO Elect. Email or call them and offer to help them get out the vote: http://www.whatcomdemocrats.com/content/precinct-committee-officers-pcos .
- For extra bonus points, join the Whatcom Democrats and volunteer to work in one the precincts missing a PCO!
- Volunteer to help the Coordinated Campaign (canvassing and telephone outreach) in Bellingham: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Washington-State-Democrats-Coordinated-Campaign-Bellingham-Office/593327990836370
- Support a Democratic Legislative District candidate by donating to their (underfunded) campaigns:
- Sharlaine LaClair: http://sharlainelaclair.nationbuilder.com/
- Tracy Atwood: http://www.make42blue.com/
- Join your Democratic Legislative District organization:
- 40th LD : http://www.40thdems.org/
- 42nd LD : http://wp.42dems.org/
- Join the WA State Democrats: http://www.wa-democrats.org/
- Encourage your Democratic friends to register to vote at http://myvote.wa.gov and then make sure they vote. October 10th is your last day to register to vote. Ballots will be mailed starting on October 18th.
I suggest you pick an activity of your choice and budget range and simply start working on it. If you call the local Whatcom Democrats ( http://www.whatcomdemocrats.com/content/executive-board-2015-2016) offices, they will have suggestions for you. I joined the Democratic Party after listening to Noel Frame's marvelous speech at the Key Arena Bernie Rally. I wan't to help.
But since then I can definitely tell you that running and winning elections isn't a magical process. I haven't met any magicians in the Democratic Party in Whatcom County. And our party has division within it's ranks that mirrors the Bernie/Clinton rivalry. Winning this election won't happen without your help and contributions. Please help!!